Post Thanks / Like

Default Quad Tires for Wellsville/Hillclimbing/Mud?

I currently have 20” Holeshot XCR tires on my 400EX with full XC racing setup but am thinking of buying a set of rears to throw on when I go to the Ville or anywhere else if it is real muddy. I am very happy with these tires for fast trail riding such as Wayne Nat’l Forest or Hatfield where I am blitzing the trail & turns absolutely as fast as I can. They have good forward traction and are very predictable when sliding. At Wellsville, however, the pace is slow and there is not a whole lot of railing turns and I think a taller tire might be better for clearance with all the rocks and ruts/mud holes etc… Current tires:

What do you guys think is a good choice for Wellsville? I know Preacher and his crew run the Pro Wedge II’s. I can imagine they have tried many tires over the years and there must be a reason many of these pro climbers run the ProWedges and I am sure their straight line traction is great. My concern is that they are not made any more and are hard to find, only 2 ply, and they look like cornering would be very poor. Preacher choice:

With Pro Wedges out of production I found these 4-snow tires that look almost identical. They are also 2 ply andsupposed to wear fast, has Preacher or anyone tried these instead of the ProWedge II’s?

Since cornering fast is not important at Wellsville I wonder if a pure mud tire would be good for climbing? I have never tried anything like these tires as most of my riding life has been MX racing or fast trail riding but I would think these mud tires should get great traction on the hills and when going through the mud holes that are not avoidable?

Lastly, another pro climber Luke uses a more conventional XC type of knobby tire like mine. I have seen some of the videos when riding with Preacher he has struggled on some of the hills that preacher made up because the pro wedges had better traction. But Luke also climbs some crazy hills that almost no one else goes up so maybe a 20”knobby is fine after all? And these are the type of tires the pro GNCC racers use and they deal with mud and hill climbs in about every race. I think Luke runs the Razr2:

What do you guys think? Mud tire vs knobby vs snow tire? 20" vs 22"? I should say that I want to make some trips over the fall/winter when it will be wet and/or snow because I am less busy with my kids’ activities over the winter months. This summer after a rain at Wellsville it was very slick and I was sliding around on my current tires and I wonder of a mud/snow tire would be better or maybe that clay is slick on any tire?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm running 22" mudlites on my stock 400ex and they're awesome for wellsville. I bought those to ride double with my gf and they work great for that. I've climbed some good shit with them but I can't say how they'll do on the insane shit. for what I do I'm really happy with them.
    YJ (sold it and haven't looked back)
    cr250
    400ex

3. Likes token liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

22" BKT 111AT-HD's all around. Won't ever run anything smaller or more expensive! Great cornering, good in the mud, effin excellent on the dry and loose stuff. 6-ply and thick sidewall protection. Have been running them in the Ville for years without a single incident. Only time they let me down is when there is not enough power in my engine.
    91 YJ (2" lift - needs some lovin), 01 YFM366 (waaaayyy too much to list, its a money pit), SDG 125 Pitbike

THE ULTIMATE WELLSVILLE PLAYLIST
    THE ULTIMATE WELLSVILLE PLAYLIST: PART II
    THE ULTIMATE WELLSVILLE PLAYLIST: PART III

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find them, Pure Sport Realtor - 6-ply mud and snow tire that work great on hard and soft stuff too. I ran those for a while and got everywhere with my 2WD quad.
    91 YJ (2" lift - needs some lovin), 01 YFM366 (waaaayyy too much to list, its a money pit), SDG 125 Pitbike

Post Thanks / Like

The sport quads I ride with run the RAZR 2's and they work great for them, except they get a lot of side wall cuts.
    2013 Can Am Renegade 1000R X xc
    2016 Polaris RZR XP Turbo

Post Thanks / Like

20" Razr2's for the win. I always ran them on my 400 and never had isseus. make sure you ge the 6 ply
    2013 RZR 900 XP Walker Evans Edition

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yjcorey655 View Post
    I've climbed some good shit with them but I can't say how they'll do on the insane shit.
    Well I will say I won't be climbing any of the insane hills that the pro's do either. I thought of the Pro Wedge tires after watching a shit-ton of Preacher's and Catfish's videos but in reality I probably don't need that type of tire because I won't be climbing half of the hills they climb. I still think a 22" tall may be better for Wellsville but I think I will stick with the knobby type of tire.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, the BKT AT111 HD's are Razr clones, exact same, less cost! They're from sri-lanka. I've ran the same pair of rears fore years with no issues, gone through a set or two for fronts from trash cuts (steel and sharp crap)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlast View Post
    By the way, the BKT AT111 HD's are Razr clones, exact same, less cost! They're from sri-lanka. I've ran the same pair of rears fore years with no issues, gone through a set or two for fronts from trash cuts (steel and sharp crap)
    that's some good info I might give that a shot.
    cr250
    400ex

Post Thanks / Like

Tires that have tread have always worked good for me.

Post Thanks / Like

BKT AT111 wheres the cheapest place to get these
    cr250
    400ex

Thread Information